Tuesday 21 June 2016

West Highland Way Race 2016 - Running into the Unknown



Hey Reader,



Its been a long time since I've written a blog, 3 years in fact after my first ever ultra the Glen Ogle 33. In that time I have ran a fair few marathons and ultras however never really felt I had much to say on the matter, or more so that anybody would be interested in what I had to say. It is after all just running, just a hobby, just an unnecessary drain on my finances, just a way for me to get some alone time and keep fit in the process. However, after having just completed the West Highland Way race in 26 hours and 41 minutes I have taken time during the race and afterwards to reflect on what this 'hobby' is to me and how it can affect others around me. So, here I go, I do hope you can take something positive from my ramblings about this amazing journey.




Saturday 18th June 12:20am at Milngavie train station, the place buzzing with nerves and excitement. I managed to remain calm and focussed, as I usually do, It could have been really easy for me to get caught up in the fear and anxiety that comes with a 95 mile adventure through the hills of glorious Scotland but I knew I had worked hard over the last few months training specifically for this event. Although I knew it wouldn't be a fast one I was confident I could get it done! The race begins right on cue at 1:00am and off I go. Milngavie centre was buzzing, running up the high street, through easily 100 spectators cheering and clapping gave me the boost I needed to start my journey.









Race Briefing



The Team (Ben, Avril, Fozzy, Me, Kerryann, Danny)



All geared up and ready to go!

The first 16 or so miles were in the dark, although I had my head torch on I didn't have much practice running with it. Staring at the one point of light on the ankles of the runner in front gave me a really bad headache, not to mention the fact I had really uncomfortable stomach cramps it wasn't the easiest start to the race I had hoped for. Everyone around me was in really high spirits, all ages and from all over the world, there was one man I noticed with a prosthetic leg and hand - try not be inspired by that!! I was so thankful for the clear sky because it began to get lighter around 3:00-30 shortly before the ascent up Conic hill. The views from the top of Conic hill are breath taking and even more so this time with the sun rising behind me! My legs were feeling great at this point, much better than they did during the Highland Fling 6 weeks earlier. The descent from Conic hill is always fun but I needed to constantly remind myself to take it easy and save the quads for the rest of the race. Approaching the first checkpoint I was running well, a bit behind my target but by this point I had re-evaluated my plan, now it was to run as slow as possible for as long as possible. There they were, so glad to meet my team. They were a well oiled machine, bottles refilled, bag repacked, battling off the bloody midges. After a wee seat and a scran I continued on my journey.


Balmaha Time - 3:52




I stuck to my plan between Balmaha and Rowardennan, jogging the flats and easy hills, and walk the hillier hills. Again my legs were feeling really good at this point and I was running really well and feeling pretty good considering it had been 24 hours since my last sleep.  I cant remember much from this section to be honest, it seems most of my memories of the race are made of misery and midges. After meeting the crew at the last checkpoint it was discussed that they would go on to meet me at Beinglas Farm however it seems (and I was delighted by it) that they had a change of plan without me and met me at the Rowardennan checkpoint too. I kept being told to stop worrying about them but I had hoped they would have a little sleep before meeting me at Beinglas but never mind I was pleased to see them.


Rowardennan Time - 5:40

Off I go to Inversnaid. Once again I left this checkpoint feeling great, eating and running really well. I got talking to a couple of experienced WHW runners during this section so I took the opportunity to gain some knowledge/advice from them, and I was thankful for that come the end of the race. I've found at events like these that everyone is very friendly, happy to help, happy to chat and try cheer you along even if they are feeling particularly low. Races are social events and more and more you enter the more you recognise and become familiar even building friendships with different people. My nutrition plan was working well for me, I was on a diet of babyfood, ham hock and cheese wraps and Tailwind, I had no stomach issues since the very first section which I was delighted about. The talk for this section was the slight route change where we were sent down the 'low road'. I really enjoyed this section, it had just been 'done up' and was absolutely stunning. Ups and downs the whole way along on perfect single track trail, technical rockiness and well made board walks/steps. But those bloody midges!! Foolishly I stopped for a moment to put some new tailwind in my bottles, I crouched, opened my bottles and was swarmed by millions of the little shites. There were going up my nose, in my ears, all over me and in my bottles which was quite distracting so I might a right arse of putting in the tailwind, one bottle insanely strong, the other barely had a taste. I dare to think how many midges I drank as I sipped on the bottles the remainder of the section.

I arrived at the Inversnaid hotel, again feeling pretty good. There were fans set up inform of some chair to have a wee seat midge free and it worked a treat. I filled up my bottles, had some more grub and got on my way along the dreaded lochside section. I have mixed feelings about this section, yes its good for a little rest as you spend most of your time clambering over the rocks, however my legs were still feeling good, even after 33 is miles so I was keen to run on here. This technical section seems to last for hours, simply due to the fact I could only move slowly so I was delighted when I finally escaped this and could run again. Things were starting to be noticeably more challenging, climbs were getting harder and slower but only slightly. Up to Darios post - the incredible views over Loch Lomond were breath taking, it doesn't matter how many times I see it I always feel the same way, what a beautiful country Scotland is!! After this little hill I was back to running well but I could feel the temperature increasing and I still had a base layer and t shirt on, overheating can ruin my race so I knew the first thing to do would be a quick change at the farm. Soldiering on I was delighted again to be met by Fozzy and Avril just before Beinglas cheering me on. They walked me into the checkpoint where I met the rest of the crew. I must have looked rank, covered in midges and dried up sweat. Avril kindly gave me a wash down to remove the midge graveyard that had formed on my face and upper body with a sponge made of what I think was actually sandpaper. The heat I think was starting to take its effect on me because I had lost my appetite somewhat, but as a great crew should do, they force fed me a range of treats from pork pies to coffee to replenish my energy levels for one of the longest sections to Auchtertyre.
Beinglas Farm Time - 9:42
I never really enjoy this section out of Beinglas, I find its the point where my energy levels hit bottom and I struggle to keep up an easy jog. This time it was worse, 10 or so minutes into the section the sun had hit out in full force and I was overheating. Sweat was pouring from me and even a regular splash of water over my head wasn't cooling me down. I managed to work my way along the right side of the roadway with a slow jog and a brisk walk but once I passed under the low bridge that's when my body and mind started to fall apart. I was moving so slowly, not eating as I should and trying to conserve my water to last the whole section as I knew I'd need it. I took every opportunity to cool down, throwing my buff in the streams and putting it on the back of my neck to lower my temperature but nothing seemed to work. The hill up into the forest section was a struggle, I was walking most of it however I managed to pass someone who seemed in a far worse state than myself. I didn't catch his name but he was unable to keep anything down, water or food, and was considering dropping (I have no idea if he did) for a brief moment the thought did cross my mind but left it just as quickly. Dropping was never an option, if I had learned anything from spending hours listening to running podcasts I knew it was a long race and that these moments, where I felt like I could just ball myself up on the side of the trail and just fall asleep, would soon pass. One foot in front of the other, keep making progress, keep moving forward and never give up are mottos I apply to each of my races so this was no exception. It could only have been 3 or so miles to Auchtertyre where I could have a good eat and drink so the slog continued. Who would have guessed it, I was closer than I thought, in the distance I seen Fozzy and Ben running towards me like a couple of sweaty angels coming to lift me the rest of the way. Fozzy gave me a swift telling off... I hadn't eaten or drank enough, no wonder I was feeling so bad. So I took some time, done what I was told, drank and ate as much as I could before leaving the forest. Fozzy ran on to tell the crew and I managed a slow jog with Ben to the checkpoint. I sat down with my crew, change of socks, blister pad applied, Fozzy force fed me some more food and water. I use the term force fed lightly obviously but at this point I couldn't face eating anything, in hindsight I should have brought a selection of more palatable foods for moments like these. I weighed in, only dropped 1kg and set off again with Avril and Ben.


Auchtertyre Time - 12:42

My stomach was churning, although consuming all that food was absolutely the right move my body required more effort to digest it and so I was having some stomach cramps. 3 miles to Tyndrum where I'd meet the crew again briefly. It was a slow start but Drill Sgt Avril was clear in her roll... when she says run I run. It was working, I was moving well again, even though I was feeling awful. This 3 miles went quickly, I was nibbling and sipping regularly and I made my first special request for Tyndrum, a twister lolly (heaven on a stick). I met the crew once again after the road crossing, picked up my lolly and devoured it on the way to Bridge of Orchy. The plan remained constant throughout this section, run when Avril says so. It was definitely a good cop bad cop situation with Ben and Avril. Ben chatting away and Avril shouting the orders. They done great, I made it clear during our crew meeting weeks before that I didn't want sympathy, I didn't want nicey nice, I wanted tough love, I wanted to be told to man up and move on. It worked a treat. I made it to BoO in good time.

Bridge of Orchy Time - 15:13

So here we go, a nice little hike up Jelly baby hill then down onto a short road section before the most mind numbing section on the course, Rannoch Moor!! I said earlier I only seem to remember the sections I struggled with, and this is by far no exception. Things started off really well, I ran the road section no problem, but then the slight incline heading up the moor started, the heat was beating down and my energy levels were starting to waver. I couldn't tell you exactly how many miles into the moor I managed before I hit another wall but I'm sure it started just before reaching the top of the moor. I wasn't eating again, I was so tired that the thought of undoing the clips to my pack, taking it off and rummaging through it was exhausting so I neglected it. That was the definition of the wrong choice, I had no energy and was beginning to feel dizzy and tired, I'm not sure what it looked like from my support runners perspective but it felt as if I was barely moving. Im not sure I'd call it hallucinating but I was mistaking rocks for tents/sheep/people sitting. I kept picturing getting to the next checkpoint and meeting my crew, I got a bit teary and all I could think about was falling into the wives arms for a cuddle. My water had ran out by this point so Ben ran onto the next checkpoint to fill it up, Fozzy ran back to meet us with the bottle. At the top of the moor I began to feel a little better, I could slow jog down towards the Glencoe Ski centre. Seeing the Ski centre in the distance was a huge relief and arriving at the checkpoint was even better. I know Kerryann was worried about my in the lead up to the race and I was certain she'd be concerned if I turned up to the checkpoint like a dribbling mess so I attempted to hold it together. I believe I failed at this as Fozzy later told me she had was really worried about me and I was quite emotional, which I most certainly was. I was shown to the boot of my car for a seat, a fuel up, a change of clothes in preparation for the cooler climb up the devils staircase and then on into the night.


Down to Glencoe Ski Centre
Glencoe Time - 18:20

Leaving Glencoe my legs had stiffened up and a jog was a struggle, but I persevered and soon I was able to jog along nicely.  My energy levels were back up and I was ready to tear into this next section with Fozzy. He wasn't taking any nonsense from me, every jog no matter how short had purpose, it felt like a race, he was making me chase down groups in front and it was working. Things were going great, the temperature had lowered and I was feeling loose and energised for the Devils Staircase. Again, Fozzy had a plan, we would power hike up this hill! Hands on knees and steely determination would get us to the top of the hill as quickly as physically possible. I was pleasantly surprised how well I was moving up the staircase given that I had 70+ miles in my legs already. On the way up Foz made sure I was eating and drinking regularly which I did... however I have to admit mate, I chucked some of the food like a naughty child chucking his peas on the kitchen floor to save himself from eating them. The top came quicker than I could have hoped and we soon started out decent towards Kinlochleven. This descent would not be so easy though as earlier in the race I could feel my quads struggle a bit. We made our way gradually down the hill slowly and not so surely, I believe we were passed by one other runner before arriving at Kinlochleven. A quick weigh in, meet the crew, restock the pack and off we went once again. Thinking about it afterwards I should have taken my time and eaten more at this checkpoint but I was so focussed on getting this done that it slipped my mind.



Kinlochleven Time - 21:26

Danny would be joining me this section as would Fozzy once again as he knew this section like the back of his hand. From even before the race I was dreading the climb out of Kinlochleven, it feels like it goes on forever. At this point it was getting dark, I think my body must have gone into sleep mode or the hill took more out of me than I hoped but I was really beginning to feel sleepy. Finally we made it to the top of the hill. Fozzy had mentioned we could pretty much walk/easy jog the rest in and still make my silver target time of 26+ hours. However as it grew darker my mind started to fail me and my legs were packing in also. Any easy section I attempted an old man shuffle and just tried to work hard going up the inclines but my eyes were heavy and I cant imagine how slow I was walking but at one point we were only averaging 25 minute miles. If the Rannoch moor section was a battle with my body this was a battle with my brain. I would be walking along then all of a sudden stagger off having a little walking dream, there was a fair few times where the lads had to keep me upright. A couple of times we sat down for a little rest but they only served to add more time onto the race so I kept on going, short of having a nap at the side of the trail nothing would have made me feel better... that is until we came across the mountain rescue team who kindly offered some cola, coffee and a handful of jelly babies. That done the trick, feeling slightly better we continued on a mission to Lundavra. The place was jumping, bonfire, happy and helpful people and more cola. It wasn't long before we made it to the forrest section, the steps down here were brutal, Danny needed to give me his arm for each one to prevent me from falling flat on my face and not being able to get back up. Out of the forest and down the fire tracks to the finish. I managed to run some of this section pretty well considering and I was happy to know that short of passing out I would make my 26+ hour target. Down through the carpark and onto the road. The boys left me at this point to run the remaining half mile. Ill be honest once again I maybe only ran the last quarter mile for a running finish. I always imagined myself bursting into tears at this point but they never seemed to come until I seen Kerryann at the end. I crossed the finish line in 26 hours and 41 minutes. If Carlsberg done cuddles this one at the finish was it and yes the tears did start.


Fort William Time - 26:41

After a moment to compose myself I was congratulated by Johnny Fling. We couldn't make the prize giving so he handed my goblet and I had my personal little prize giving at the front door of the Leisure centre. I said my goodbyes to the team and headed for the campsite for a well earned sleep.






So, now the dust has settled I am so thankful for everyone involved in the race, my crew, my wife, the marshals, the other runners, the f'n midges, the pain, the discomfort, the falling asleep, the blisters, the tears, the stubbed toes, the tight muscles, the incredible environment, the stomach cramps, the headaches, the cracking weather. I really struggle to feel proud of myself at times, always felt that I was Mr Average however after completing this monster run I can honestly say I am incredibly proud of myself! Not because of my finish time but because of my effort, attitude and determination throughout the race even when at times finishing seemed impossible. Everything that happens in life makes us who we are, whether things happen to us or we put ourselves in difficult situations. Running can change you into someone who perseveres when things get tough, into someone who will willingly live outside of their comfort zone to improve, into someone who solves problems in order to keep moving forward in life, into someone who appreciates the small things. Running isn't just a hobby for me, its my passion. There, that's the sappy bit... now I'm back into the emotionally reclusive Scotsman I've always been.

Thanks for reading.

"The search for a passion is more important than the passion itself"
 Dean Karnazes

 




1 comment:

  1. Excellent! You really tell it like it is.

    But more than that . . . I find it mind-boggling that you can not only remember everything that happened during your race, but can write it all down in an interesting way so that the rest of us can re-live the experience!

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete